Recently the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors rejected the expansion of the San Joaquin National Wildlife Refuge without even allowing the Fish and Wildlife Service to formulate a proposal.

After giving a brief presentation, the San Luis National Wildlife Refuge manager sat and watched as a small group of farmers and local water districts slammed the board with complaints that the federal government is a bad neighbor and were taking advantage of being the only potential buyers in a bad market.

Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting and mining industries represent about 5 percent (11,878 people) of the employed civilian population of San Joaquin County. The other 95 percent of our county’s working population older than 16 were nowhere to be found at the meeting.

 

Click here to read more at Recordnet.com

Advertisements